Dental implants are used to replace missing teeth. They involve the surgical placement of a false tooth root in the jaws, below the gumline. The false tooth root is made of titanium and readily accepted by the surrounding bone structure. A screw attaches the tooth root to a crown or bridge to restore the tooth structure above the gum line.
Dental implants provide the most natural-looking and long-lasting treatment for missing teeth. They also preserve the bone structure and support the facial contour, providing you a youthful appearance.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
Dental implants are considered the best dental replacement procedure because they:
- Replace missing teeth and restore your self-esteem, confidence, and spirit.
- Save your bone and gum tissues from receding and dissolving, this is a consequence of tooth loss. No other tooth replacement technique protects the bone and gum tissues.
- Shield your healthy teeth from unnecessary pressure by evenly distributing the biting and chewing forces. Other dental restorations concentrate the biting and chewing forces on the natural teeth.
- Prevent the neighboring teeth from shifting and tilting into the gaps left by missing teeth and check orthodontic complications.
- Use titanium roots that are biocompatible and readily accepted by the body. Titanium integrates with the natural bone through a process called as osseointegration.
- Easy to maintain and care for. No extra oral care regimen is required to check the health of dental implants.
- Nothing feels, looks, functions as naturally as the dental implants.
- Improve lisp-marred speech and restore chewing ability.
- Do not weaken the adjacent restorations.
- If properly cared for, last a lifetime.
How are dental implants placed?
Dental implant placing needs 3-6 months and is accomplished in two dental appointments.
- Appointment one
3D scans and radiograph examinations are conducted to determine the thickness of the jawbone and wellness of gum tissues. If you have adequate bone structure, your dentist will drill an access hole in the jawbone using a disinfected drilling tool. He will then introduce the titanium root into the jaw and suture the gum with dissolvable stitches.
The entire process is carried out under the effect of local anesthesia. You will not experience any pain or discomfort. The titanium root is given 2-3 months to integrate with the surrounding bone structure.
- Appointment two
After the jaw has healed and the gum tissues have successfully latched themselves on to the implant's surface, you will visit your dentist's office for a second appointment. He will remove some gum tissue from the top of the implant and attach a screw to it. The screw connects the implant to a dental restoration that restores the tooth structure above the gum line.
Our team at West Lake View Dental specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of a variety of dental ailments. This includes dental exams, professional dental cleanings, root canal treatments or cosmetic enhancements like teeth whitening, Botox treatment, and teeth contouring. We also utilize the latest technology like digital X-rays to devise the best treatment plan for you. If you are looking for a smile makeover or full mouth reconstruction, visit West Lake View Dental for the best dental experience.